Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The great knock played by Hanif Mohammad


Most cricket fans do remember Hanif Mohammad for that great knock of 337 at Bridgetown Barbados in 1957/58. So how good was it?

If one looks at the knock statistically Pakistan team were already 473 runs behind after getting bowled out for just 106 in the first innings. So, in the second innings Pakistan were in all sorts of trouble but, Hanif played a great knock as he scored 337 runs in 970 minutes which shows that he must have had great concentration powers. As expected he holds the record for playing the longest innings in test cricket. His knock of course helped Pakistan to save the match and add to it the Caribbean team had bowlers like Sobers, Gilchrist, Valentine etc. So, one can say it was a good bowling attack.

Tony Cozier once said, he defended so much that a guy who couldn't get into the stadium but climbed on a coconut tree to see the match went into a deep slumber after seeing the way Mohammad was defending and in the end fell from the tree and that woke him up!

1 comment:

Soulberry said...

I once read a description of Hanif Mohammad's batting in that innings and at Brabourne Stadium, Bombay...I do not recall where now and by whom (different authors). I blame anything and everything for my failing memory. It was a masterclass of sorts I believe.

I'll go through my bookshelf and try and find where I read that description.